Monday 25 February 2013

UW - I finally feel like i've found my calling

For those who have explored my blog to its full depths, will know that in my About Me section that I currently study journalism at University of Huddersfield but have no idea where this will take me. I like to think i'm a pretty decent writer, but no way is it my strongest attribute. I originally got really into PR (Public Relations) last year, but this year it's kind of wore on me and I can't see myself doing that anymore. Enter magazine design.

When I was in my second year at college, I sat and pondered and scoured numerous courses for a significant amount of time before settling for the one that I now study. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this course and unlike many other people I talk to, I'm glad that I took this course as I do enjoy it. Some aspects are a little tedious (politics) but every course is going to have good and bad points. A little advice to anyone who is applying or considering applying to university. No course is perfect, so stick it out. One of my courses that I considered doing was web design, as i've always liked designing things on the computer but I eventually decided against it.

Anyway, magazine design. My first assignment was to create a magazine cover, and despite creating a nice enough cover, my mark bombed. I was quite miffed and went to talk to my lecturer and she explained the mark that I got, and what I should have done. Which I fully understood, and took on board. I didn't get too down about getting 58 and set myself the task of improving for the second half of the year, and you'll be pleased to know that I am progressing.

This second half of the year we were made to work in groups and we have to create an 8 page dummy copy of a magazine that can fit the market. After much deliberation we decided on creating a magazine for the northern man.

The most important thing i've learnt for the front cover is that the main image is the most important part, and this is one of the main reasons that I got 58 on the first assignment. I barely spent any time looking for an image on my first assignment, however on my second assignment, I spent just short of a month looking for the right image. Eventually, I found the image of Jon McClure (lead singer of Reverend and the Makers) on flickr and it had a massive revolution which meant I had some room to play with. I originally set about creating an overlay, so that Rev's head went over the top of the logo that i'd already created. Then I added the text at the bottom before adding the wording inside the cup today. All in all, i'm starting to become really impressed with the work that i've done and my senior lecturer is also very impressed with my work.

This is by no means the finished business, the banner on the top looks terrible and I just added it in because we needed a banner and it's something that I will go back and edit later. It also needs teasers down the left and right hand side, however, I just wanted to share my work of what i've done so far as i'm incredibly proud. I'll make sure to post the finished piece on here, once it's complete around April time. Is this my calling in life? At this moment of time, i'd be inclined to say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment